Specialist solicitors to the construction and engineering industries
Hawkswell Kilvington is highly regarded for our straightforward, no-nonsense approach to construction and engineering project documentation. We believe it is of paramount importance to minimise client risks at all times. The firm has a dedicated team of lawyers with a wealth of experience in drafting, advising on, negotiating and drafting amendments to:
- All standard forms of construction contract, including JCT, NEC3, FIDIC, ICE Conditions of Contract and Infrastructure Conditions of Contract
- Bespoke construction contracts and warranties (including those relating to energy and nuclear projects)
- Bespoke and standard form sub-contracts
- All standard forms of professional appointments, including RIBA and ACE
- Bespoke professional appointments
- Novation agreements
- Collateral warranties and third party rights memorandums
- Letters of intent, performance bonds and parent company guarantees
- Retention bonds
- Framework agreements and joint venture agreements
- Terms and conditions for the sale and purchase of goods
- PFI construction documentation
When entering into a new contract, it is essential to fully appreciate what your responsibilities and potential liabilities will be and take steps to ensure that your contractual position is adequately protected. This can be difficult, as you may have limited bargaining power, or do not wish to appear inflexible or uncooperative.
Hawkswell Kilvington can assist you with contract negotiations by reviewing prospective contracts for you, pointing out the key risk areas and categorising the issues we raise in order of importance to allow you to prioritise potential risks by adopting a “traffic light system” in which we highlight risk in high (red), medium (amber) and low (green) categories. We can also suggest suitable amendments which protect your contractual position without alienating your potential client. We aim to provide contract reviews within a timescale to suit you.
We also offer a free of charge “Terms and Conditions Health Check” service. To find out more, please click here.